TENNESSEE LAWYERS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (TLAP)
COVID 19 BULLETIN
Tips for managing your mental stability during this time of uncertainty:
• Take a media break. Prolonged exposure to the news can impact your mental health in a negative
way. Turn the screens off and go for a walk around your neighborhood, weed the garden, read a book
outside, etc. Get creative. Fresh air and sunlight can have a positive effect on mood.
• Take care of your body. Now is a great time to implement some of the healthy lifestyle changes
you have been putting off. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and eating your daily fruits
and vegetables. When it is time to go back to office life, your healthy habits will follow you.
• Catch up on your hobbies. What hobbies have you been putting off because you did not feel there
was enough time in the day? Today is the day to start again.
• Connect with others. Social distancing is not the same thing as social isolation. Be sure to
check on your friends, family members and neighbors. Talk to people you trust about how this is
affecting you. Use this time to re-connect with people you have not talked to in a while.
• Be thankful. This is a trying time to find the good, but research shows that having a positive
attitude can actually improve your health and even drown out negative thoughts and anxious
feelings. Find a gratitude partner and share with them one thing daily that you are grateful for
during this unprecedented moment in our history.
For additional information on positive thinking and its impact on stress, follow this link.:
GENERAL HEALTH INFORMATION
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Coping During the Coronavirus Pandemic:
• Wash Your Hands. https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/
• Clean Your Cellphone.
• Protect Yourself. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html
• Disinfect your Home.
• Create an Action Plan.
Living With Mental Illness During COVID-19 Outbreak – Preparing for Your Wellness:
ONLINE RECOVERY RESOURCES
In the Rooms:
Online Intergroup – Alcoholics Anonymous: http://aa-intergroup.org/directory.php
The Token Shop: https://www.thetokenshop.com/Online_AA_Meetings
Al-Anon Phone Meetings: https://al-anon.org/al-anon-meetings/electronic-meetings/#Phone_Meetings
National Association of Mental Illness (NAMI) Resources: www.nami.org
COVID-19 Updated Guide: https://www.nami.org/getattachment/Press-Media/Press-Releases/2020/COVID-19-and-Mental-IllnessNAMI-Releases-Importan/COVID-19-Updated-Guide-1.pdf?lang=en-US
Free, confidential 24/7 support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for oneself and others.
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK or 1-800-273-8255.
OTHER ONLINE SUPPORT COMMUNITIES
Online text chat with a trained listener for emotional support and counseling.
An international fellowship of people who desire to have a better sense of emotional wellbeing.
Virtual support groups on numerous mental health conditions.
Online peer support groups offering members facing mental health challenges and/or difficult family dynamics a safe place to connect. Support groups include anxiety, depression, marriage/family, OCD and teens.
Website featuring 200+ online support groups
Online mental health support network that allows for individuals to connect with others who are living with or supporting someone with mental health conditions, substance use disorders and stressful life events. www.18percent.org
Offers a free, peer-to-peer online support community for those struggling with a wide range of mental health issues.
Offers online mental health resources, quizzes, news, an “Ask the Therapist” function and online support communities.
Parenting in the Time of COVID-19:
YouTube Fitness Videos
Take a YouTube Fitness Class from your living room. Here are a few to get you started:
• Blogilates: https://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates
• Fitness Blender: https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlende8.r/featured
• The Fitness Marshall: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFitnessMarshall
• HASfit: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXIJ2-RSIGn53HA-x9RDevA
• Les Mills: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChJHUmT_EREEs4WV6jpmnBw
• Nate Bower Fitness (Boxing): https://www.youtube.com/user/NateBowerFitness/featured
• PopSugar Fitness: https://www.youtube.com/user/popsugartvfit
• Yoga with Adriene: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene/featured
• Walk at Home by Leslie Sansone: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj34bMJFPbg
Amazon Prime. Check out Amazon Prime for free access to a wide variety of fitness videos, including Zumba and 21-Day Transformation from GymRa. Just search for“fitness” and then filter by “Prime.”
NYT Fitness Guides. The NYT has several fitness guides that include short videos to guide you work out.
• 6 Minute Workouts: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/well/move/in-6-minutes-you-can-bedone-with-your-workout.html
• High Intensity Quick Workouts: https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/reallyreally-short-workouts
• 9 Minute Strength workout: https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/strengthtraining-plyometrics
• Yoga for Everyone: https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/beginner-yoga
Yoga Streaming Services. Try a Yoga streaming service. Most offer free trials and have different types of Yoga available.
• CorePower Yoga: https://www.corepoweryoga.com/yoga-on-demand
• Gaia: https://www.gaia.com/yoga
• Yoga Glo: https://www.glo.com/
• Yoga Today: https://www.yogatoday.com/
Exercise Workout Apps.
Try a workout app on your phone. Some are paid, but most have a free trial.
• 7 Minute Workout (iOS/Android): https://7minuteworkout.jnj.com/
• FitOn (iOS/Android)
• The Ladder (iOS)
• Peloton (iOS/Android): https://www.onepeloton.com/digital/checkout/digital-90d
• Pocket Yoga (iOS/Android)
• Sculpt Society: https://www.meganroup.com/
• Yoga Studio (iOS/Android): https://www.yogastudioapp.com/
Most exercise Program Services are offering free trials for Covid-19 exercise plans. This is a great chance to try something new.
• Blogilates: https://www.blogilates.com/14-day-quarantine-workout-plan/
• Peloton is offering a free 90-day trial: https://www.onepeloton.com/
• Les Mills: https://www.lesmills.com/us/ondemand/
Your Local Gym/Studio. A lot of local gyms, yoga studios, etc. are offering online classes you can do from home. Make sure you check with them to see if your regular instructor is offering video classes.
Try a mediation or mindfulness app. Some are paid, but likely have a free trial.
• The Breathing App (iOS/Android)
• Calm (iOS/Android): https://www.calm.com/
• Declutter the Mind (iOS/Android): https://declutterthemind.com/
• FitMind (iOS): https://www.fitmind.co/
• Headspace (iOS/Android): https://www.headspace.com/covid-19
• Insight Timer: https://insighttimer.com/
• Mindwell (iOS/Android): https://www.mindwell.live/
• Simple Habit (iOS/Android): https://www.simplehabit.com/
• Smiling Mind: https://www.smilingmind.com.au/
• Soundly (iOS/Android): https://soundly.app/about
• Unplug Meditation (iOS/Android): https://www.unplug.com/online-classes
Learn how to Meditate with the NYT’s Guide to Mediation.
Yoga for Relaxation
Yoga practice can also provider relaxation. Check out the NYT’s Guide on How to Relax with Yoga and the Yoga ideas in Section 8 “Physical Activity while at Home.”
• NYT’s Guide: https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/yoga-stress
Tips for Social Distancing, Quarantine, and Isolation During an Infectious Disease Outbreak: https://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/tips-social-distancing-quarantine-isolation-031620.pdf STRESS AND ANXIETY
Managing Stress and Anxiety: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html
10 Ways to Ease Your Coronavirus Anxiety: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/smarter-living/coronavirus-anxiety-tips.html
Coronavirus Anxiety? Here’s How to Keep It From Spiraling Out of Control: